A coalition of independent drivers, small businesses, minority advocates and public safety leaders and consumers support the Protect App-Based Drivers & Services Act that would:
Protect app-based work that is essential during these uncertain times.
The ballot measure would protect the right of app-based rideshare and delivery drivers to work as independent contractors if certain criteria are met, such as having control over their own hours and when, where, how long they work, and the ability to work for multiple platforms. It would preserve access to earning opportunities for struggling Californians needing to supplement lost income or jobs.
Require new wage and benefit guarantees.
The measure requires app-based rideshare and delivery network companies to offer new protections and benefits for drivers, including:
- Earnings Guarantee, including:
- Drivers always receive at least an amount equal to 120% of minimum wage, plus 30 cents per mile compensation toward expenses, with the potential to earn more and no limits on how much drivers can make.
- Health care contribution equal to 100 percent of the average employer payment toward a Covered California Plan, or $367 per month to a driver on average.
- Drivers start earning this amount at 15 hours per week and reach the full amount at 25 hours per week
- Drivers can earn multiple contributions from multiple companies
- The health care provision in the ballot measure is more generous than state and federal laws, which only require health care to be provided to those working more than 30 hours per week, with no benefits for part time workers.
- Occupational accident insurance to cover on-the-job injuries
- Automobile accident and liability insurance
- Protection against discrimination and sexual harassment
Implement new customer and public safety protections.
The measure would provide for:
- Recurring background checks of drivers
- Mandatory safety training of drivers
- Zero tolerance for alcohol and drug offenses
- A cap on driver hours per day to prevent sleepy driving
Protect access to app-based delivery and rideshare services.
This ballot measure will protect:
- App-based delivery services that provide Californians convenient access to food, medicine, grocery and package delivery services, while providing small businesses like restaurants, grocers and retailers new customers; and
- Rideshare services that reduce impaired and drunk driving, improve mobility for seniors and the disabled, and provide new transportation options for families who cannot afford a vehicle.